DWMA Performance Podcast Episode #5:
Coach Justin Soukup – “Explore beyond your education so you never stop learning!”
Justin Soukup, MS, CSCS
Athlete Performance Coach
Olmstead Medical Center
Coach Justin Soukup, is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the NSCA and a former University of Wisconsin-La Crosse graduate. Prior to his tenure at Olmstead Medical Center (OMC) in Rochester, Minnesota. Justin served as a Strength & Conditioning Coach at Rochester Lourdes High School, assisting with all of the athletic team’s performance development.
Despite having known Justin for the last two-years, I finally had the pleasure of meeting him face-to-face this past year at OMC’s Performance Conference were Justin and I both presented. Justin’s presentation was amazing and highlighted his incredible work with Olympic Sled Hockey athlete, Hanna Hughes. For those wondering what sled hockey is, it’s a sit-down version of ice hockey for players whose disability prevents them from playing stand-up hockey. It was in that presentation I learned of Justin’s creative genius, in concert with the remaining Athletic Performance Staff at OMC.
Included is a video link that highlights Hanna Hughes training and her testament to the Olmstead Medical Center’s Athletic Performance Staff. Please take the time to check it out.
In this Episode, we discuss:
- The differences between coaching high school and working in a private athletic training facility.
- The philosophies that drive Justin's program design.
- What Justin wants his client-athlete’s perception of the weight room to be.
- How Justin coordinates with sport coaches and strength coaches at the high school so they give their client-athletes everything they need and nothing they don't.
- A review of the DWMA System and how Justin and the entire OMC's Athletic Performance staff utilizes it with his client-athletes.
- Hear Justin discuss how DWMA and the OMC Staff are reducing injuries and time-off from work for firefighters at the Rochester Fire Department.
- Advise to aspiring strength coaches.
- Justin's latest book recommendations.
Download this episode on iTunes:
Book: The Winner's Manual by Jim Tressel
Book: Conscience Coaching by Brett Bartholomew
Book: Developing Explosive Athletes: Velocity Based Training eBook by Bryan Mann
Sports Nutrition: Critical Reload