DWMA Performance Podcast Episode #1:
Ryan Johnson - "Be a Farmer & worry about YOUR field!"
Coach Johnson has worked at Wayzata High School since the Fall of 2001. Before coming to Wayzata, Coach Johnson worked in the Edina District for three years and in the Elk River District for two. In addition to teaching strength and conditioning classes during the day, Johnson is also the after-school Director of Strength and Conditioning for Wayzata Public Schools, and the Director of Operations for Wayzata Football. Johnson’s summers are dedicated to the Trojan Power Program, which not only trains over 600 kids every summer but also employs over 30 teacher/coaches and former Trojan Athletes!
Coach Johnson also serves on the Board of Directors for the National High School Strength Coaches Association (NHSSCA) and is responsible for the organizations Region-6, Mid-America district. The NHSSCA is an organization dedicated to promoting the value of qualified high school strength and conditioning professionals while providing opportunities for professional development via state clinics, regional and national conferences, newsletters, and technology-based educational resources. To learn more visit NHSSCA.
In this Episode, we discuss:
- The philosophies that drive Coach Johnson’s program design.
- What Coach Johnson’s wants his athlete’s perception of the weight room to be.
- The challenge and benefits of designing a new facility.
- How Coach Johnson interacts with coaches in regards to his strength and conditioning program in order to get the most out of his athletes.
- A review of the DWMA System and how Coach Johnson utilizes it with his athletes.
- Advise to aspiring strength coaches.
- Coach Johnson’s latest book recommendations.
Download this episode on iTunes:
Book: CEO Strength Coach
Book: Conscious Coaching
Sports Nutrition: Critical Reload